Monday, March 19, 2012

Good Music

What is good music? Is it something that has great meaning behind it's lyrics? Is it.. an auditory masterpiece? Or is it something instrumentally that is unparalleled? I don't really know.

For example, I played piano for.... 8 years? Some of the last pieces by Bach, Chopin I ever played was a culmination of all the years of practice and I put in. Even after 8 years it still took me more than half a year to master these pieces. By master I mean learn it well enough to play from memory to get a good score at my exam. That's 7 to 8 months of breaking the 5-6 pages of music down into sections, learning each section, then playing that entire song thousands of times. And this was only for one piece (song). So if you ask me, I would probably say everything I played is considered good music. I guess because I know how difficult it was to learn, to play. So how talented would you have to be to write something like that?

Musically.. I am not that talented. Even with all my years of piano my sight reading (seeing a piece of music and play it right away) is very mediocre. I am not able to hear something and replicate that sound on the piano either. That said, this is merely what my own opinion of what I think good music is.

And I think Music is whatever is wants to be. And you should just have an open mind about it. If you hear something you like, then that itself is good enough for you. If melodically it appeals to you, then what can you say? However I believe today with all the "electronic" and whatnot people forget there's other music. There's opera, there's entire orchestras, there's.... the blue man group. Don't get me wrong I enjoy some of that electronic music too, but I just hate when people go and say that "this shiets the best ever!!!!!!!!!!!"

Think about it, for hundreds of years people have been singing, violin'n, piano'n, guitar'n, so the culmination of all that music greatly outweighs what's been made electronically recently. There's tons of music out there, better music than what you think is the best thing you ever heard. I bet if you were to travel to a monastery and listen to a bunch of nuns sing in some isolated town in France it would be an experience you weren't able to describe.

Music is whatever is wants to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment